In this extended special episode, we have Andy Tyrrell — Lee’s dad — as a guest on the podcast.
I’d heard murmurings from Lee that Andy thinks the podcast is a weekly meeting of the pretentious mutual admiration society, so here I’m preparing to defend myself.
Tensions aside, in episode 7 we talk about emotion in games, generational perspective, and sex censorship. We also explain why we never talk about anything physical.
…But for now, listen to this week’s episode:
📻 in this episode, we discuss:
- Criticism from Lee’s dad on the podcast so far
- Thoughts on the trailer for Death Stranding
- Are teaser trailers misrepresenting games?
- Are games ‘where it’s at’?
- Why games have a hard time communicating emotion
- Examples of games where you empathize with the cast of characters
- On human emotion in Journey
- Why Journey is such an emotional game
- Are cult classics shit films that are simply ‘products of their time’
- What makes a movie an instant classic?
- The most glaring inaccuracy in The Martian
- The one classic film Andy recommends me to watch
- Why we’re pretentious bastards
- Is it big-headed to want to broadcast your voice?
- What would you call it when you make something new out of a wooden palette?
- On ‘upcycling’
- Turning twattery into an art form
- We try to talk about something tangible and physical for once
- Do game controllers make playing games too easy? Should they have nails hammered into them?
- Grasping for physical experiences in a digital age
- Are we basically brains in jars now?
- What analog TV meant to the previous generation
- Why Jason and the Argonauts isn’t shit
- Stop motion skeleton design in the ‘60s
- Would this podcast be better if we were all drunk?
- Sex in Grand Theft Auto
- Expectations from an 18+ rating on a game
- Inconsistent censorship on MTV
- Would developers come up with a one-handed controller if they made a masturbation-centric game?
- The evolution of sex in video games
- Hilarious encounters in GTA online
- The ergonomics of game controllers
- Why we bother talking about kid’s films
- The reason Studio Ghibli can be difficult to get into
- Surreality in films
- On making the subjective objective
- Why we create for Secret Cave
🔗 links mentioned:
- Death Stranding Trailer
- Journey FIRST IMPRESSIONS
- Raging Bull
- The Martian
- The Godfather
- All The President’s Men
- 25 Years of Reeves & Mortimer [REPORT]
- Super Mario Bros.
- Lee on Jason and the Argonauts
- Ray Harryhausen
- Rayman Legends
- Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
- Paranoid Android
- Inside Out
- Studio Ghibli
- Spirited Away
Sick rims in The Martian:
Skeletons in Jason and the Argonauts:
Music credit: Nuclear Winter — Baby Mawson
Leave a comment or tweet us @_secretcave if you have questions or anything you’d like us to address in the next episode.